Next summer, starting in June, I will be running a Community Shared Agriculture program from my garden. Running for 18 weeks, this is a chance for people to forge a real connection with where their food comes from. One share, designed to feed a couple of moderate veggie eaters, or one veggie fanatic, will likely start with crops like spinach, radishes and lettuce, and move steadily through the season, providing goodies such as turnips, zucchini, tomatoes, onions, leeks, garlic, squash, beets, carrots, specialty greens, fresh herbs, potatoes, parsnips, cabbage and much more.
A CSA offers benefits for members as well as the farmers.
For the members:
- a seasonal variety of naturally grown and freshly harvested vegetables
- a connection to where food comes from and the hands that have grown it
- an opportunity to try new foods and share recipes with like-minded individuals
For the farmers:
- a commitment of support from customers who are loyal to the farm and value its products
- the pleasusre of getting to know the people who receive vegetables
- an ability to share the risks that come with agriculture
Single shares are priced at $400/member. For those who want more veggies, buying two shares may be a smart choice. For those concerned that one share may be too many veggies, consider splitting a share with a friend or neighbour.
A non-refundable downpayment of $100 will secure your place in the CSA. Call or e-mail me, Mike Reid, to sign up for a share in Kolapore Gardens C.S.A.