The brilliance of autumn’s leaves is starting to fade, and the hope is we’ve all soaked up enough of the fire-like colours to keep warm & lively until spring.
Another great way to enliven your winter is to continue eating seasonally with the best this area has to offer throughout the bleakest months of the produce shelves.
Some of my favourite winter dishes include crisp winter salads, puréed soups, hearty stews and lots of roasted veg.
Many of you know or have signed up for Kolapore Gardens Winter CSA program, but for those of you who are new to the idea and interested in continuing to eat local, organically grown food that is direct from the farm, here’s a bit of info about what I offer:
- 2 pick-ups per month from November to February
- 3 Convenient Pick up Locations including:
- Collingwood on Saturday mornings (or some weekday evenings if you make arrangements with me)
- Clarksburg on Tuesday’s (4:00-5:30)
- At the farm near Duncan on Friday afternoons (Noon-6pm)
- Free choice to swap items when you come to pick up
- An assortment of root crops such as potatoes, beets, carrots, celeriac and rutabaga
- A variety of fresh greens including lettuce, spinach, rainbow Swiss chard, kale, and our custom salad mix
- Flavourful variety of onions, shallots and garlic
- Fresh herbs such as cilantro & parsley
You can find more information, including pricing and share sizes (we have three options this winter) at https://kolaporegardens.com/winter-csa-20162017/
The first week of harvest and deliveries will be that of Nov 8th-12th.
Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions at all. While I’ll be busy filling the root cellar, tending to the greens under cover of the greenhouses and preparing garden beds for next spring I am happy to make time to answer any questions.
We’ve come a long way from covering glass cloches with woven straw mats, but the ideals are the same as they were in the outskirts of Paris in the 1800’s and early 1900’s – fresh, delicious produce, year-round!
With the use of greenhouses like this one we covered last year, I can protect sweet winter greens for harvests in January and February!
Contact me to sign up for the whole winter, or selected weeks before it fills up!